Dependent Origination: How did we get into this mess? (John Peacock)

| April 6, 2012 | 8 Comments
John Peacock

John Peacock

Dependent origination is vital to our understanding of experience, how our suffering arises, dissatisfaction, disappointment,  the causes, etc. In these two talks, John Peacock explains the details of why it’s important to understand, how we benefit, and that it’s easier to understand through practice:

Part 1:

These talks are from dharmaseed.org. You can get Part 2 here.

Tags: , ,

1. Candol says:

Why does he say sangsara instead of samsara?

2. Hugo_vH says:

@Candol
    I don’t know -BUT:
    Via the following link ( http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/207/talk/2592/venue/IMC/20110903-John_Peacock-IMC-buddhism_before_the_theravada_part_1.mp3 ) you may hear this explanation:

the Buddha -wrong name, though, according to John P.- didn’t actually speak Pali but propably a number of Pali-dialects – his words were later noted down in the way, Peackock states, Charles Dickens tried to write down the Cockney dialect of London – a nice attempt but never the real thing.

How that for an explanation? Can’t help writing this reply because I just listened to the above mp3.

Hugo

3. Hugo_vH says:

Yep, it’s in it – Peacock explains at 4:28 of the aforementoined mp3 the mystery of samsara (the word).

4. Ron Stillman Ron Stillman says:

Dana, part 2 is actually located at http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/91/talk/9769/

Thank you, Ron! I’ll correct that link when I get home.

Dana! Thanks to this post, I discovered to my shock and delight that I have not heard all of the John Peacock talks at dharmaseed! In fact, there are dozens I wasn’t even aware of! I must load up my mp3 player immediately!

7. Linda Linda says:

He says “sangsara” because the “m” in samsara is the one that has the dot under it. To quote from Rune E.A. Johansson’s chapter on pronouncing Pali in his “Pali Buddhist Texts: An Introductory Reader and Grammar” that character:

“is a sign of nasalization: the vowel preceding [it] should be pronounced through the nose.”

so the somewhat strangled “ang” sound is the attempt at nasalization.

(I have not listened to the recording itself, so I am not portraying John Peacock’s pronunciation as “strangled” just that’s the way I hear the nasalization in my own mind.)

8. Hugo_vH says:

Hi Linda,

Silly question ( so just ignore this if this is over the top … ) – according to the ±7-th precepts one’s not allowed to / should refrain from dancing etc, including watching the magic latern, since this can be related to the television I´d very much like to know what the pali word for ´magic latern´ is.

Thanks, Hugo