Loving Kindness Guided Meditation

| December 16, 2012 | 7 Comments

Guided Loving Kindness Meditation

Follow this Guided Loving Kindness Meditation by Mark Knicklebine (about 35 minutes):

Category: Audio, Guided Meditations

Ted Meissner is the Executive Director of the Secular Buddhist Association, host of the SBA's official podcast The Secular Buddhist, and is on the Advisory Board for the Spiritual Naturalist Society. His background is in the Zen and Theravada traditions, he is a regular speaker on interfaith panel discussions, and is interested in examining the evolution of contemplative practice in contemporary culture.

1. Mariehtp Mariehtp says:

Hi Mark,

How can I save your meditation on my iPad. I am now doing Metta almost everyday. But sometimes my iPad can’t access SBA. No idea why. I also need WiFi for my iPad. That limits where I can meditate.
    Thanks
    Marie.

Marie —

I’m excited that you’re doing metta every day! I hope my recording is helping. Underneath the player on this page you’ll see a link that reads “Podcast:Download”. If you click that link you will download an MP3 file onto your device which you can play with anything that plays MP3 files. Makes sure to save it where you keep your music. You’ll have to forgive me — I’m a Windows/Android guy myself so I can’t give you more details.

3. Mariehtp Mariehtp says:

Thanks Mark.
    I do download it, but I didn’t see that I had the possibility of saving it. Metta is not a benign form of meditation. It took me a while to get into it, but it clicked at my last Omega retreat (two week ago) on a day when I meditated a total of 3 hours, including with your 30 minute meta. I guess I was ready. It is indeed a very powerful experience—not necessarily a pleasant one though. I don’t want to go into details on a public forum, but on occasions Metta has brought me to the so called “dark side” of meditation. I can see how people who think that meditation will only bring you to your happy place freak out when the hit that wall.

Marie, I envy your proximity to a place like Omega!

I hear you entirely re:the fact that Metta practice can be a harrowing experience. I think this is because our sense of connection to others is so mixed up with other emotions, many of them painful ones. When we begin to cultivate Metta, all that other stuff wants to come along for the ride too, and I think this is one reason so much resistance can arise to even doing the practice. I think I told you how surprised I was when I started regular Metta practice that it seemed so physically painful. It took me a while to recognize what that pain was communicating and to recognize that there was also something soft and golden there too.

If you want to do a private conversation on Facebook, I’d welcome hearing more about your experiences!

5. Stephen Stephen says:

Hi Mark, thanks for the guided metta, I always found metta the hardest “style” of meditation to do, but that could be my British conditioning..:-). After many sittings over the last 25 years however, I have perhaps reached some equanimity with it, even to myself.

Thanks again…

Stephen

Stephen, thanks for your comment! It always makes me happy to hear that people are using the guided meditations.

Knowing plenty of Yanks who also find metta challenging, I think it’s a cross-pond phenomenon. My perspective on it changed when it dawned on me that the form, phrases, etc, were means to the goal of cultivating an open heart, and the experience of open-heartedness can be deeply joyful and self-motivating. It can also be overwhelming and painful, but working with those sensations always seems to teach me something. All by way of saying, what ever works for you to open your heart and feel that metta flowing, do that!

7. puise says:

hi mark, thank you very much for this guided meditation – i tried it after doing your 20 minutes sit and finding it perfect for me. i had been a bit reluctant about meta meditation but i am glad i tried it !