Ten Minute Sit with Music

| April 13, 2014 | 6 Comments

This is a ten minute guided meditation with an ambient music soundtrack.  I’d be interested to hear if you like it and would like to hear more of this kind of track.

10 minute sit with music

Category: Audio, Guided Meditations

Mark J. Knickelbine, MA, C-MI, is a writer, editor, political activist, and certified meditation instructor. "Buddhism Without Beliefs" and "The End of Faith" led him to seek out a dharma practice without the religious trappings of Buddhism. He found it at a local health clinic, where he learned mindfulness in the manner of Jon Kabat-Zinn. He has continued to study texts from the Pali, Chan and Zen traditions, and he is an active member of the mindfulness community at the UWHealth Department of Integrative Medicine. Mark is a member of the SBA board and serves as Practice Director.

1. Jennifer Hawkins Jennifer Hawkins says:

I’m just starting a meditation practice, so it was hard for me to get calm, but I enjoyed this sit. Having it here on the site motivated me to give it a try. The music was generally good although the occasional loud pings could be startling (Zen-like even, lol). I’d love to be part of the next one.

Thanks, Jennifer. I chose the glock bells because they kinda sound like tingshas and to provide some contrast with all the low end in the tambura and other instruments. Let me know if you continue to find it startling. The program I use to generate the instruments randomizes the volume of the bells so adjusting the audo levels is a challenge!

3. Jennifer Hawkins Jennifer Hawkins says:

…Wow, you know your instruments, lol. Anyways, this time was different. I was able to relax more fully/sooner and the bells became less distracting. Guess it was just that I was a beginner. Anyways, it was amazing again. I kept seeing your face (from Social Circle, lol) and thought of some loved ones. I felt this inner …wave…of happiness. The professor of that Coursera course on Buddhism and Modern Psych said that he felt a similar thing when he “went too far” into concentration meditation instead of switching over to mindfulness. Does that make any sense to you? Anyways, I did this one again today because I thought, “I’m new, shouldn’t I train with 10 minutes instead of moving on to 20?” but then 10 didn’t feel long enough this time, lol. I know I’m babbling, but I guess it’s just post-meditation bubbliness, lol. My point is, thank you for putting this up, I’m getting a lot out of it.

Jennifer, thanks for your kind words. Wonderful states of peace and bliss can arise doing any kind of meditation — as can agitation, anger, lust, boredom, and wondering what to make for dinner. The trick is learning to be with and befriend whatever comes along in your experience, observe it carefully, and then let it go. Likewise, it doesn’t matter how long your session lasts, but daily practice can help you develop practice as a habit. So whatever encourages you to get in your daily formal practice is good. I find that when I have a question about what I should be doing in formal practice, a little silent listening to my heart will usually suggest an answer. It’s not about following rules or instructions — its about learning to get in touch with the wisdom of your own embodied experience and let that be your guru. Good luck!

5. Jennifer Hawkins Jennifer Hawkins says:

Thanks. =)

6. Judy-M Judy-M says:

I would like to try this – I am an amateur, so….