6/11 Practice Circle: One Wild and Precious Life

Home Forums SBA Practice Circle 6/11 Practice Circle: One Wild and Precious Life

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by asifshaikh asifshaikh 2 months ago.

• Author

Mark Knickelbine
    Keymaster

Greetings! I have been working with Norman Fischer’s wonderful commentary on the Tibetan Buddhist Lojong text, “Training in Compassion.” It is not only a accessible introduction to meditating with the Lojong slogans, it’s a very good introduction to the basics of Buddhist practice, one that will be of great benefit to a beginner and to anyone seeking to maintain “beginner’s mind.”

The first point of practice in Lojong is “Train in the preliminaries.” The preliminaries turn out to be reminding ourselves of how precious and brief our human life is, and the imperative of not wasting our opportunity to train to experience the fullness and beauty of that life’s potential. Or, as Mary Oliver puts it in her poem “The Summer Day,” “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” That’s the question we’ll work with when Practice Circle meets again this Sunday, June 11, at 9 pm Eastern, 8 Central and 6 Pacific.

If you haven’t joined us at Practice Circle before, we’d welcome the chance to practice with you. Our new videoconference rooms on Zoom are optimized for mobile devices, and of course there’s no charge to participate. Just follow this link: https://zoom.us/j/968569855

I hope to see you there!

Mark

asifshaikh
    asifshaikh
    Participant

I would love to join this session in the near future.

Buddha is one of the greatest messengers of peace.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.