An Open-Hearted Life: A Clinical Psychologist and a Buddhist Nun

Home Forums Buddhist Texts An Open-Hearted Life: A Clinical Psychologist and a Buddhist Nun

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by middlewayward middlewayward 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    middlewayward
    middlewayward
    Participant

I first started studying Buddhism in an interfaith meditation group that was working through this book by clinical psychologist and professor Dr. Russel Kolts and Venerable Thubten Chodron of the Tibetan tradition (it also includes a forward from the Dalai Lama). Has anyone else read it?

An Open-Hearted Life: Transformative Methods for Compassionate Living from a Clinical Psychologist and a Buddhist Nun

I found it very helpful from a secular perspective because it gives alot of real world examples and the phycological science perspective. It also has analytical meditations to work through the chapter’s concepts.

Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

I haven’t, but I’ve now put it on my wishlist. Thank you for sharing

Michael Finley
    Michael Finley
    Participant

Yes, welcome. I haven’t read the book you mention, but it sounds interesting — even if my first, unworthy, thought on reading the title was to think of a bad joke — “A clinical psychologist and a Buddhist nun walk into a bar …. ” 🙂

More seriously, have read Stephen Batchelor’s Buddhism Without Beliefs yet? Like you, it takes an agnostic stance.

middlewayward
      middlewayward
      Participant

I have just picked up Buddhism Without Beliefs on audible and have been listening to him. It has been good so far. What are some of your favorite readings?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.