Hello

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Hello

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jennifer Hawkins Jennifer Hawkins 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

xdepuydt
    Participant

Hello,

My name is Xavier. I live in a village named Nazareth in Belgium. I used to be a TV-director for the Belgian public broadcaster VRT. In 2001 I became chronically ill. Since then I am unable to work.

I discovered Buddhism in 2000. Reading the book “With Mystics and Magicians in Tibet” by Alexandra David-Neel, sparked my interest. I devote every day time to study Buddhism and to meditate. With time it became a natural thing to do. It is a practice which improves my quality of life.

I never became a member of a sangha. I participated in activities of several associations but never felt connected with the people and practices there.

I think that secular Buddhism offers an interesting approach. It makes tabula rasa with any preconception and makes it possible to discover the teachings of the Buddha from a new perspective.

I am currently busy studying some basic concepts of Hinduism to better understand the worldview in the time of the Buddha. I find this activity very interesting.

I also regularly read texts from the Pali Canon.

Meditating is very important to me. I see it as exercising. There are immediate advantages in meditating.
    But I think one feels the real benefits when one is able, thanks to the practice, to tackle the challenges of daily life in a mindful, loving and kind way.

Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi xdepuydt.

Welcome to our Sangha.

I think that secular Buddhism offers an interesting approach. It makes tabula rasa with any preconception and makes it possible to discover the teachings of the Buddha from a new perspective.

That is one of the best summaries of Secular Buddhism that I have ever seen. I’m going to hold on to that for future use.

At any rate, if you look at the calendar on the right-hand side of the page, you will find our Practice Circle events, which are free online group meditations. I’m not sure if the hour will be difficult for you if you are in Belgium, but you are more than welcome to join us. Also, if you are interested in free online courses or other materials to learn more about Buddhism, just let me know. I know of a ton.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.