Help with some words from 'The Eights'

Home Forums Learn Pali Help with some words from 'The Eights'

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dave Dave 2 months ago.

• Author
    Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m trying to work my way through translating ‘The Eights’ – AN 8
    I’m still just a novice at understanding Pali and I’m struggling with the syntax of bits of the Pali
    I wondered if anyone can help?

For instance:
    I’m stuck on the verse section of AN8.5. There is the term Avekkhatī. I assume it’s derived from the adjective Apekkha, but the case ending is confusing me. Maybe it’s a pres. particple? Apekkha+tī meaning ‘one who expects'(?), but why does it end in a long i?
    Similarly, a little further along is the word paṭighātameti. How should this be parsed? paṭighāta+amu+eti, paṭighāta+me+ti??
    and there is the Adjective Aniṭṭhato. Again I’m confused by the declension. Aniṭṭha+ato, Aniṭṭha+to, A+niṭṭha+to, a pronominal?

If anyone has any thoughts on these I’d appreciate it.

Linda
    Linda
    Participant

Hello Dave.

Verse is challenging! They get a little liberal with the forms of words in order to keep to the meter.

When I look at AN 8.5 in the Digital Pali Reader (DPR), and at Sutta central, I don’t find avekkhati ending in a long-I. So, with a short-I, it’s a verb, with a 3rd person singular ending.

paṭighātameti looks to me like like it’s a noun that has been (pardon the coined term) “verbed”, also a 3rd person singular ending.

aniṭṭhato is the word niṭṭhaṃ with the negating a- prefix. It seems to be an adjective that has been used as a noun, with the “-at-” added to meet the meter.

Glad to see you working with the Pali. When doing translations, the DPR is my best friend.

Hope this helps!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Linda Linda.
    Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    thanks for the prompt reply.
    After I posted this I started re-reading Warder and noted his comment that in poetry pretty much anything goes in order to get the metre right.
    As I said I’m really just beginning playing with translation. I see I should check other versions to detect errors & typos etc.
    Thanks for the pointers. Its good to get another view when I have tied myself up in syntactic knots.
    I am still learning to find my way around DPR but my favourite tool at the moment is ‘Pali Lookup’ which is great for checking declensions & conjugations. Its available on software.informer.

Cheers
    Dave.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.