Hwadu meditation

Home Forums Meditation Hwadu meditation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Shane Presswood Shane Presswood 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Tobias
    Tobias
    Participant

In the books of Martine and Stephen Batchelor I read about Hwadu meditation. I made some experience with this kind of meditation and I would like to deepen it.

Are there other people who practice Hwadu meditation? Is anyone interested exchanging experiences? Are there any teachers who offer courses and/or training?

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

Tobias, I too am looking into different methods of focusing my meditations on at this time as well. I came across https://www.hwadu.org/hwadu-what-is-this/ but am looking for more samples of Hwadu (Zen). What have you found thus far?

Gassho,
    Shane

steve mareno
    Participant

I’ve been practicing Zen for two decades, but still had to look this up! We’re talking about koan meditation, right? That’s all I have ever heard it referred to as.

Koans are not for everyone, and in almost every instance they are given to a student by a Rinzai Zen teacher once the student has progressed to a certain point. Not all Rinzai teachers use them, and the head kahuna at my current center doesn’t, nor did his teacher. You really need to work with a teacher on this, the only time I think that’s necessary, or not much happens.

That’s because the answer to a koan has nothing to do with a “correct” answer, it has to do with whether or not the student has actually awakened to reality. If they have, any answer they give will be “right”. If they haven’t, every answer they give will be “wrong”.

Being locked inside ourselves, an unbiased and helpful person needs to be around to look at it impartially. There are tales of people becoming suddenly enlightened from a sudden sound or koan on their own, but I’ve never seen it happen. Even if it did and someone became enlightened, what then? Enlightenment isn’t the answer or goal, it’s just a step on the path. We don’t become wized up or suddenly become different and better, it’s more of a flash into suchness, then it’s back to mowing the grass and stewing about the traffic. But the idea is to KNOW you’re mowing the grass or stewing about the traffic 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  steve mareno.
    Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

I’ve been practicing Zen for two decades, but still had to look this up! We’re talking about koan meditation, right? That’s all I have ever heard it referred to as.

Koans are not for everyone, and in almost every instance they are given to a student by a Rinzai Zen teacher once the student has progressed to a certain point. Not all Rinzai teachers use them, and the head kahuna at my current center doesn’t, nor did his teacher. You really need to work with a teacher on this, the only time I think that’s necessary, or not much happens.

That’s because the answer to a koan has nothing to do with a “correct” answer, it has to do with whether or not the student has actually awakened to reality. If they have, any answer they give will be “right”. If they haven’t, every answer they give will be “wrong”.

Being locked inside ourselves, an unbiased and helpful person needs to be around to look at it impartially. There are tales of people becoming suddenly enlightened from a sudden sound or koan on their own, but I’ve never seen it happen. Even if it did and someone became enlightened, what then? Enlightenment isn’t the answer or goal, it’s just a step on the path. We don’t become wized up or suddenly become different and better, it’s more of a flash into suchness, then it’s back to mowing the grass and stewing about the traffic. But the idea is to KNOW you’re mowing the grass or stewing about the traffic 🙂

Steve, I have not personally worked with any “Koans” and unfortunately am still having trouble finding more locally laced people to share my journey with. I have a strong passion to share more of my practice with others. Not to take on their beliefs or to necessarily try to convince them of my on this path, but just mere discussion. This is why I am primarily online with my commentaries.

Thanks for clearing this up! I hope Tobias has found his avenue expanding as well!

Gassho,
    Shane

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.