In a nutshell

Home Forums Secular Buddhist Practice In a nutshell

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ScottPen ScottPen 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    ScottPen
    ScottPen
    Participant

“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” – James Covey

This idea speaks to me profoundly. Here’s how I would change it:

Between stimulus and response there is a space.
    In that space is our power to choose our response.
    If we fill that space with the Dharma, in our response will lie our growth and freedom.

XenMan
    XenMan
    Participant

You will find as you progress that the philosophy and texts become redundant when your mind gets some quiet time. But anything that speaks to you is worth exploring to reframe your mindset before then.

Unfortunately there is an absence of common sense and practical application coming from most of the principles and guides. Zen is better in that area, but utterly fails in the meditation department.

The idea is that you find a teacher, and go through the multi-lifetime and extensive processes of the Sutras and Tantras.

The secular approach allows you take what you want and apply it where it is needed. I’m pure meditation, with no interest in any of the philosophy. I don’t generally like people, used to carry a gun and would have used it to protect myself or others, and dispatch vermin from my house.

The quote from James Covey sums the principle of low reactivity and the middle path. The issue with focusing on a quote, is that you are given an ideal without a way to achieve it and you can feel disappointed when you don’t live up to it. A bit like how Christians are told not to sin, but not how to change their thinking to avoid it.

Principles are nice to use as a definer and destination, but be aware you are attempting to change influences from your genetic makeup, environmental conditioning, and years of reinforced thinking and behaviour.

The Dharma is the most rewarding of paths, with the challenge to explore principles and texts with practical application. You can start this now by observing your thoughts and actions through the day; learn the cognitive processes that go from stimulus to thought to reaction. You make progress when you can slow the process down and even mentally step back and predict what will happen.

ScottPen
      ScottPen
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Xenman

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.