Ireland, anyone?

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Ireland, anyone?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Shane Presswood Shane Presswood 2 months ago.

• Author

Mim Donovan
    Participant

Hey – I’ve been a humanist Quaker for 30 years but have recently (over the last 2 years) been studying and reading about Buddhism in my own time. There is a Dzogchen centre nearby which I have stayed at a few times and done some retreats at but I have been much more influenced by reading Steven Bachelor. I have also attended sessions and a retreat by a wonderful Theravadan practitioner. So far as I know there are no secular buddhists in SW Ireland, where I live – none that have advertised themselves on the internet at any rate. I don’t see a conflict between being a Quaker and a secular Buddhist at the same time, although increasingly I am more drawn to my Buddhist practice because it does not require me to have to make intelectual workarounds in my own head when others talk about Jesus, heaven, hell etc during Quaker ministry or business meetings. Anyway, I would love to make contact with other secular Buddhists in this corner of the globe. This is a great website by the way – everything is so beautifully written. I have been busting my head trying to understand what exactly the differences are between the traditions and confess I have failed to dismally in the attempt. However, I am uplifted to have discovered secular Buddhism and think I have finally found my true spiritual home.

Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi Mim, and welcome!

I don’t know much about Secular/ Buddhist communities Ireland specifically, but I do know that being anywhere in Europe puts you decently close to anything the Batchelors do via Bodhi College:

Welcome to Bodhi College

or even this online course: https://www.realizemedia.org/stephen-batchelor-four-great-tasks/

Also, Secular Buddhist groups in New Zealand do a lot of online events that are timed to allow attendance by those in Europe. You can learn more here:

Online, together, meditating, secular

or by emailing Ramsey Margolis via that website.

Finally, I know that there are other people in the welcome area who have mentioned Ireland or the UK, and we’ve even had them appear at our Practice Circle event (which is at a terrible hour for you) a few times. They are also quite active on our Facebook page: … which you seem to have already found and I responded to you there, lol.

Well, I hope that these are good starting places. I can also give you link for another group that does online meditations together that is based in the UK somewhere (so the time should be convenient for you), but they are Triratna, not Secular Buddhist.

Listen to the Suttas!
    https://tinyurl.com/yaeza39j

Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi Mim, and welcome!

I don’t know much about Secular/ Buddhist communities Ireland specifically, but I do know that being anywhere in Europe puts you decently close to anything the Batchelors do via Bodhi College:

Welcome to Bodhi College

or even this online course: https://www.realizemedia.org/stephen-batchelor-four-great-tasks/

Also, Secular Buddhist groups in New Zealand do a lot of online events that are timed to allow attendance by those in Europe. You can learn more here:

Online, together, meditating, secular

or by emailing Ramsey Margolis via that website.

Finally, I know that there are other people in the welcome area who have mentioned Ireland or the UK, and we’ve even had them appear at our Practice Circle event (which is at a terrible hour for you) a few times. They are also quite active on our Facebook page: … which you seem to have already found and I responded to you there, lol.

Well, I hope that these are good starting places. I can also give you link for another group that does online meditations together that is based in the UK somewhere (so the time should be convenient for you), but they are Triratna, not Secular Buddhist.

Listen to the Suttas!
    https://tinyurl.com/yaeza39j

Mim Donovan
      Participant

Thanks so much Jennifer – I will check out all of those suggestions – I very much appreciate the trouble you have gone to. It is 4.30am here and I think I have been all night on this site – or off at other sites reading up about things mentioned here. That is how delighted I am to have found you all.

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

By the way my step father is from Kilkenny, Ireland! Salancha (did I spell that correctly?) Also, I know there was a podcast from the SBA that I listened to the other day from a guy that lived in northern Ireland. You might want to check that out! Hope all is well! Best of luck on your studies and practice!

Gassho,
    Shane

Mim Donovan
      Participant

Hi Stephen – I was in Kilkenny just last week, my absolute favourite town in Ireland outside of West Cork. I think you might have meant ‘sláinte’? That is the Irish word for goodbye, but it is indeed pronounced very much like you spelled it! 🙂 It means broadly ‘be safe’. In fact it could reasonably be interpreted to mean ‘may you be happy, may you be well, may you be safe’.

I’ll stay tuned to this discussion forum and hopefully make contact with others in this part of the world soon enough. Meanwhile I’ll spread word of its existence to as many people as I can in Ireland.

vincentpricesghost
    vincentpricesghost
    Participant

Hi there, I’m part of a secular Buddhist sangha in Ireland.
    We are a small non-sectarian peer lead collective.
    We sit every Tuesday in Rathmines, Dublin
    Do join us if you are ever in the area
    http://www.rebeldharma.ie

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

Hey Mim!

You may also want to look into the 5th-Precept Sangha. Although they do focus on recovery oriented material they are a valuable group I connect with for meditation and community via the web from over the pond!

Home

Gassho

Gassho,
    Shane

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.