"Metta" analogies in other religions?

Home Forums Buddhism and Comparative Philosophies "Metta" analogies in other religions?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hi there! I’ve been wondering about universal love, metta, and any other religions’ approaches to this idea. Christianity’s take seems easy to find, is anyone familiar with the Muslim, Hindu, or other religions’ equivalent?

Michael Finley
    Michael Finley
    Participant
    Michael Finley
    Michael Finley
    Participant

And I didn’t know love & compassion were just meditations ….

Anonymous

Hehe, touché. However, Sir, surely a meditation is more powerful than a “rule,” in this case, imvho. Nevin

Michael Finley
    Michael Finley
    Participant

Nevin,

I don’t think the so-called golden rule is really a rule in the usual sense, not in the sense you seem to be implying. A rule is, I suppose, usually a prescription imposed by some authority — and thus no more compelling on its face than faith in the authority. “Thou shalt not” because I say so …. If there is other reason for the rule, it’s not contained in the rule itself. The golden “rule,” on the other hand, seems to me to make a direct appeal to our capacity for empathy. It doesn’t just command me to be good, it appeals not just because Jesus/Confucius/Buddha said so, but because it challenges me to recognize the moral truth that I have no greater (or lesser) claim to be treated with compassion & good will than those I treat with.

Perhaps the insight this provokes is as good as meditation — perhaps, in fact, it may be a meditation.

Metta

Mark Knickelbine
    Keymaster

Nevin, in terms of a specific meditation practice, I’m not familiar with one. However, many contemplative traditions take up love as their object. These are usually conceived as loving communion with God as opposed to others, although this experience is thought to improve one’s compassion for other people as well. For me, though, it seems like there’s a profound similarity between metta and loving devotion to God, at least as a tradition like the Sufis describes it. One allows one’s self to open fully to the yearning for connection and love, and discovers that this yearning is itself the source of unlimited and unconditional love. Giving and receiving love are experienced as a single, unified movement of the heart, and this gesture becomes the object of one’s meditation.

Anonymous

I’ll definitely look into this, Mark, thank you sir. What it makes me wonder is, do Muslim practitioners hold Sufiism as an acceptable application of Islam.

jscottanderson
    Participant

Agape

Anonymous

Merci Messieur.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.