Prayer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  steve mareno 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
    Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

What are the group thoughts on when people say “pray more” and you identify as agnostic? I don’t feel I need to pray to anything and in Buddhism I don’t feel Buddhist teachings promote idolatry at all. Remmberence maybe but no idolatry.

Gassho,
    Shane

XenMan
    XenMan
    Participant

Prayer is a simple term for mantra’s and any repetitive thoughts.

I wouldn’t be caught up in any details. For the practicalities, you follow a process to build your development.

Distractive meditation is the starting point to stop the natural patterns of thinking. Breath concentration, a repetitive saying or visualisation is a prayer of sorts, but not in the Christian or theist tradition where it is a cry for help.

It is good for you to question everything and use what you want. Buddhism is a massive buffet of options from Tibetan, Chan and Zen. I steal bits from all three for my purposes.

Question and enjoy.

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

Thanks! I too am a little hodge podge right now and still am affected by self at this time. Non self and letting go of what has so deeply been instilled in ones upbringing is a hard thing to shake.

Gassho,
    Shane

XenMan
    XenMan
    Participant

It took me around 5 years to de-christian myself. Go at your own pace, don’t force anything.

Maybe forget about the beliefs for now and just start with some simple meditation to relax.

You will know when to move to the next stage.

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

Xenman,

Thanks for the slow roll reminder. I just get quite passionate at times about my path. I assure you I do more than one mediation and practice to relax. Hope all is well!

Gassho
    In Sincerity
    Shane

Gassho,
    Shane

steve mareno
    Participant

I usually just smile say nothing. Occasionally I may tell them that prayer is not a part of my spiritual path, and it goes where it goes from there.

It really depends on who I’m talking to. If I know they’re a religious believer in one of the many gods, I generally say nothing, as getting into some sort of religious argument is not fun for anyone.

There was a time, a long time, when I was a Christian, so I understand that where someone is right now may not be the same later on. People can change. This particular belief is not an easy one to get past, never mind that there is no proof and every religion seems to have a different god, so logical arguments on an illogical subject are doomed. But if I were to get really bad news from my doctor, you never know. Prayer might make a reappearance.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  steve mareno.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  steve mareno.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.