Secular Buddhism UK online practice

Home Forums SBA Practice Circle Secular Buddhism UK online practice

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Chris-M Chris-M 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Chris-M
    Chris-M
    Participant

Would there be interest / support here for a daily 20 – 30 minute (6.30pm or so) online shared sitting ? I am proposing to start one and would welcome comments suggestions advice and expressions of interest from SBA folk.

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

I think that would be wonderful if we can get the support. I would comitt to 1-2 days per week as those are when I’m off.

Gassho,
    Shane

Chris-M
    Chris-M
    Participant

Excellent – thats a start!

Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

Morning! (over here)

Just wanted to come in and be supportive. I think I know of about 2-3 more local people I can let know about this (they are more on Facebook than on here). There’s also a Buddhist Center Online (Triratna Buddhist) move to start something similar as well for more remote time zones right now. It’s MahaBodhi, and he can be emailed for this via: theoriginofmindfulness@gmail.com . It could be good to touch base with them as they are already centered in the UK and kind of doing similar things and can offer support and advertising of your offering as well.

Anyways, SBA is always supportive of more access to more people around the world, more Sangha. At the same time, we’ve had people ask us about starting sits in their local area, and we’re firmly of the opinion that it can’t be outsiders (since we’re generally North American) coming in – such things are best done by the local community itself with appropriate support from us. So there’s never been an enduring UK sit simply because there hasn’t been anyone more local to the UK to sit down and do it. So it’s really exciting to see someone express interest in getting this started more locally. We’ll support as appropriate (you know, advice, letting people know). And, in fact, if you go on Facebook and look at the Houston Secular Buddhist group (US), they just started their own online sits as well and might also be able to help.

Thanks for building what you want to see, for building Sangha. Know that you have support. =)

Listen to the Suttas!
    https://tinyurl.com/yaeza39j

masque
    masque
    Participant

Keith from HSB here, happy to help, and since I work night shift half the week, happy to join you at your sits, as well, depending on when they’ll fall for me.

Patrick29
    Patrick29
    Participant

I think it’s a very good idea. I’m not sure about daily though. I would look to engage maybe once or twice weekly at most. I think some form of discussion surrounding Buddhism in general or Secular Buddhism followed by a 20-minute sit may be preferable to just a sit.

Patrick.

Patrick29
    Patrick29
    Participant

P.s I personally would not feel comfortable engaging with Triratna due to their chequered past.

Chris-M
    Chris-M
    Participant

Thankyou for the responses.
    Support from SBA is particularly welcome – warm thanks for this.

My contact email: secularbuddhismuk@mail.com

Feel free to contact me there – i can provide more details of what I am doing at the moment.

I would not engage with FWBO now kmown as Triratna. There are good folk there – but i am not comfortable for the same reason cited above.

I will reach out to those mentioned – and would be imterested to hear more from those in Houston.

My thinking is to provide a place to sit together for 20-25 minutes each day in the first instance. I think it would be good to open up a discussion group seperately.

Please do add comments advice and support below. I am very encouraged so far.

masque
    masque
    Participant

What I’ve been doing in Houston is hosting weekly sits via Zoom, every other week on Wednesday evenings at 8 Central, and the other weeks on Sunday, 5 Central. We sit silently for 30 minutes, and then discuss, usually total time is about an hour, sometimes less. I figure this way people can do their own thing without guidance. Not doing one this Wednesday because it conflicts with the intro class at the Houston Zen Center. Usually it’s mostly just 2 people, but I’m keeping at it.

Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

Glad to see this so active and the networking happening here.

In case it needs clarification (and Patrick and I have talked in the past), there are people who interact with SBA (e.g. attend our Practice Circles) who identify as primarily Triratna. There is dialogue between our memberships, and I’ve never personally had a negative interaction. That said, there is an awareness of history. There’s no endorsement, but also no condemnation of what is current (as far as we know, subject to change). They are mentioned because we knew of their current endeavors and wanted to lay out options for those here.

Anyways, HSB should be having a sit today, and I will try to be there. If we might be of support, let us know. We all would love to see a new community grow!

Listen to the Suttas!
    https://tinyurl.com/yaeza39j

Chris-M
    Chris-M
    Participant

Ok

I propose to go ahead with two sittings per week – one on Monday at 7pm and one on Friday at 7pm.
    All times are London time (currently BST)
    Each will be 30 mins with a chance for discussion afterward.

The first sitting will be on Friday 24th August 2018.

Anyone is welcome to participate.

Please email me for details of how and where to partipate at:

secularbuddhismuk@mail.com

Hope to meet folk soon.

Chris M

Chris-M
    Chris-M
    Participant

Just to gauge interest – would anyone who is interested please indicate by posting below?

It won’t tie you into anything..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.