Translating metta instructions from Pali :: English

Home Forums Learn Pali Translating metta instructions from Pali :: English

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

According to Ven. Dhammarakkhita in “Metta Bhavana: Loving-kindness Meditation” (August 2001), the official instructions for metta meditation follow. I have had some trouble translating these specific words in the online Pali dictionary that I am familiar with. Does anyone know of a good Pali dictionary (online or offline) that would enable my project?

Metta Prayers/Instructions (Ven. Dhammrakkhita’s translations in parentheses)

Aham avero homi (May I be free from enmity and danger)
    Abayabajjo homi (May I be free from mental suffering)
    Aniggo homi (May I be free from physical suffering)
    Sukhi attanam pariharami (May I take care of myself, happily)

Avera hontu (May you/they be free from enmity/danger)
    Abayabhajjo hontu (May you/they be free from mental suffering)
    Anigga hontu (May you/they be free from physical suffering)
    Suki attanam parihantu (May you/they take care of themselves, happily)

I may post this on DhammaWheel as well and if I get a response may post it here.

Linda
    Linda
    Participant

Hi Nevin. Margaret Cone has two (of, potentially, three) volumes of a new dictionary out. My notes on her progress are as follows:

Cone:
    Part I : a through kh
    Part II: g to n

Pali alphabet:
    a ā i ī u ū e o ṃ k kh
    g gh ṅ c ch j jh ñ ṭ ṭh ḍ ḍh ṇ t th d dh n
    p ph b bh m y r l ḷ v s h

This means that you’ll get no help from her on words beginning with p through h.

If it’s not just dictionary entries you are having trouble with, but breaking down compounds, or even locating words in the P.E.E. there are other tools that help. You can find them listed on my blog under the “Tools For Translations” section here. I particularly recommend the Digital Pali Reader, which helps with breaking up compounds, and has two complete dictionaries within it.

I’m subscribed to this forum, so any help you need with either tools or the words, dropping a note here will get my attention within a few days.

Anonymous

Thanks, Linda. I’ll try these resources and let you know how it goes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.