Dalit Buddhism spreading in India

Home Forums In The News! Dalit Buddhism spreading in India

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    opiumpoetry
    opiumpoetry
    Participant

Here’s 2 interesting articles about the spread of Dalit Navayana Buddhism in India today https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/04/dalit-buddhism-conversion-india-modi/557570/ https://religionnews.com/2018/05/03/hindus-in-india-are-converting-to-buddhism-to-protest-treatment-of-lower-castes/ This Navayana movement in India is decidedly secular–they even reject meditation and rebirth–and is growing out of opposition to caste and Modi and BJP. Any thoughts?

• This topic was modified 5 months ago by opiumpoetry opiumpoetry.
    • This topic was modified 5 months ago by opiumpoetry opiumpoetry.
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Jennifer Hawkins
    Keymaster

Hi OpiumPoetry

We actually shared that exact article on our Facebook site a couple of months (?) back:
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Secular-Buddhist-109054131375/

I also shared some thoughts on my own page. It’s been a while, but general support. As a simple human being following a Buddhist path, I support social justice for all, and for particularly mistreated groups like “Dalits” in particular. This helps along that path, so I’m all for it. As an African American, I balk at the idea of needing any kind of permission to convert to any set of beliefs (let alone how Indian law/government structure is treating “Dalits” to begin with). As a Secular Buddhist, I wish that there was deeper interaction with the Dhamma (and maybe that will come in time) – especially as the teachings and sayings of Gautama Buddha specifically address “Dalits” in many places and overtly uphold a need for social justice for them – this is theirs in a deep way that I hope they get in contact with at any point. But that’s their choice. I’m fine with whatever they choose as long as they aren’t harming others (at least outside of a self-defense scenario).

So, I support justice, I support them where they are. If they studied a bit more deeply, that’d be nice, but I’m not going to “require” that of them. May their suffering be reduced, may they be liberated.

opiumpoetry
      opiumpoetry
      Participant

Yeah, I understand their need to reject Hinduism and all its traits since many other Indian religions started out as oppositions to Caste and then ended up adopting it. But that means rejecting Hindu traditions which the Hindus originally borrowed from Buddhists and Jains. I wonder if Dalit Buddhists reject vegetarianism as well? That would be ironic. I guess they would regard Tantric Buddhism as too close to Hinduism and thus heresy according to Dalit Buddhism..

Anonymous

Deleted.

Anonymous

Gandhiji was opposed to the caste system, and he is meant to be the father of modern India!
    The caste system is not Hindu, but was imposed by the Aryan conquerors, who were also animal sacrificers and beef eaters!

Anonymous

Have read about it, understand it, but don’t like it.

Anonymous

Deleted.

Anonymous

Deleted.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.