Has anyone read Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright?

Home Forums Buddhist Texts Has anyone read Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Anthony Anthony 4 months ago.

• Author
    kauva
    kauva
    Participant

I was wondering what others thought of it. The text really hit home for me as many of his experiences with meditation paralleled my own. Anyone else?

ScottPen
    ScottPen
    Participant

[quote quote=42360]I was wondering what others thought of it. The text really hit home for me as many of his experiences with meditation paralleled my own. Anyone else?[/quote]

That’s the book that started my practice. Prior to reading it my only understanding of Buddhism was through a Mahayana lens back when e-sangha was online, and “Why Buddhism is True” introduced me to how the dharma intersects with psychology and neuroscience- effectively making the whole thing palatable.

kauva
    kauva
    Participant

My path was a little different. I searched for a path that fit me for years and years. Over that time the one rule I made based on many many experiences was this:

If your belief set excludes anyone then you need a new belief set.

In Buddhism I found a philosophy under which I could fit everyone and it made sense to me at face value as an engineer and attorney and psychologist. But I went back to the source and rebuilt it in my mind with new science and tech understandings as an underpinning. THEN I found Wright’s book and it supported everything I had learned on my own either by study or empirically.

Kurt
    Kurt
    Participant

I took Robert’s course from Princeton online via Coursera, Buddhism and Modern Psychology. His lectures were very elucidating and the conversations with other participants were most enjoyable. He also had several guest speakers whom he interviewed in a way that was both entertaining and educational. I would highly recommend it.

with Metta,

Kurt

Anthony
    Anthony
    Participant

Just read the blurb on Amazon.

Buddhism shedding light on the unity of all in the cosmos can stop the age-old suffering attached to the death of loved ones and the fear of mortality and loss, by helping us not to cling.
    Clinging results from the view of intrinsic separateness, which is an illusion.
    However, while this awareness helps with natural, mortal and cosmological fears that produce suffering, and is relevant to ultimate truth, the Middle Way also tells us that conventional truth – pertaining to human daily existence and social reality – is equally valid. So suffering which results from social reality and social evils must be dealt with socially and politically. Buddhism will not erase this latter type of suffering, which requires social, historical analysis and social action.
    We must deal with the two truths separately. This is the Middle Path.

I understand he also wrote a book called “The Moral Animal.”
    I would like to point out too that we are not the only species to act with moral sensibility. (See the writings of Mark Bekoff, Jane Goodall, Jeffrey Masson, etc.) Humans are too self-congratulating.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.