Is this all?

Home Forums Site Foo Is this all?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  steve mareno 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    kauva
    kauva
    Participant

No offense intended, but the activity level here is rather low. I mean there’s what … 7 billion people in the world? Supposedly 70% now have internet access. And out of all that there are only like 5 people total who are willing to engage in discussions about secular buddhism?

Is there some place I am missing out on? Some Shangri-la of secular buddhism discussion??

Any new information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

XenMan
    XenMan
    Participant

Try Dharma Wheel.

dharmawheel.net/

steve mareno
    Participant

This is how it is. I live in a city of around 700,000 people. We have, maybe, 40 people in our sangha, and half or less come to the daily meditation sits and the Thursday sit and discussion on a regular basis. The only other Zen center has about half that number.

We have numerous other types of Buddhist places scattered about, many of whom have a lot more members than us (Zen is a very disciplined lineage and does not attract a lot of people no matter where you go in the US). So out of 700,000 residents perhaps 500 are Buddhists. Of those estimated 500 people, I have only met one other person that goes to any online discussion group.

Buddhist online forums often devolve into a handful of people who post over and over. For what ever reasons, online attendance in Buddhism is very low to begin with, and a secular forum would probably attract the fewest participants.

Myself, I prefer quality to quantity, and the really popular and active online Buddhist forums (like you can find on Reddit) are not places a serious practitioner would wish to be. Reddit has a lot of trolls, long running flame wars, and people who probably should not have access to an internet connection!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  steve mareno.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  steve mareno.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.