Right View

Home Forums Basic Buddhist Teachings Right View

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  steve mareno 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

Hey SBA peeps!

I am nearing the last few days of what I like to call my “core weekly meditation practice” (week 5) on the five precepts. Message me if you want to know more of the logistics and structure of what I am talking about.

I am looking into doing an eight week meditation core practice starting next week on the eight fold path. I am just curious as to how some of the rest of you reading this wonderful forum have practiced understanding what your right intention is?

While I know this is an individual expression and different for each of us I am still wanting to spark some conversation about Right View.

Magga-vibhanga Sutra it states: ‘And what is the appropriate view? Knowledge concerning suffering, knowledge concerning the causes of suffering, knowledge concerning the stopping of suffering, knowledge concerning the way of practice leading to the stopping of suffering: This is called the appropriate view’.

Thanks All!
    Gassho &
    Much Metta

steve mareno
    Participant

The cliff notes version of what you quoted, and the version that is much simpler and to the point, is that right view is no view. If we have a viewpoint, we are caught in the world of like and dislike. Things are always simply what they are, and only what they are.

There’s a strong desire in all of us to try to figure out these sutra sayings, which won’t work. If we really understand that to observe reality as it is, is to BE the reality of the present situation, that constitutes true reality w/o an agenda. Then and only then does the sutra makes perfect sense. The minute “me” gets involved, is the minute that I cease to have knowledge of what is really going on.

The knowledge the sutra speaks of is not learned knowledge (that’s what got us in the trap we’re in to begin with), it’s more like experiential knowledge, but even that term doesn’t fully describe what it is. Learned knowledge, and knowledge that comes from experience reality as it is, are mutually exclusive. While learned knowledge certainly has a great role to play in the life of all sentient beings (it’s not just a human thing), it’s obvious that most of the problems humans have are self created from too much reliance on past learned knowledge.

When we are fully present and in the moment, then we have direct knowledge of suffering, of it’s cause and cessation, etc. The minute we start to internalize it and start up an interior dialogue, we have ceased to be present, and separate ourselves from reality. We have made things into an object. Can’t do anything from that point but cause trouble for ourselves and others. To experience suffering directly as it is requires getting me out of the way, and then I AM suffering, and to BE suffering is to completely and fully let go of “me”, at which point there is the cessation of suffering. This is not easy, but meditation is the path. It’s all about ego. As long as “I” am running things, they are going to go to hell in a hand basket. When “I” am not in the mix, no problems. The self will actually and continually create problems out of habit just to reinforce the illusion that “I” exist.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  steve mareno.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.