Who/what says the Buddha was Siddhartha Gautama

Home Forums Buddhist Studies and Scholarship Who/what says the Buddha was Siddhartha Gautama

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Shane Presswood Shane Presswood 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    ScottPen
    ScottPen
    Participant

I’ve read that nowhere in the Pali Canon does the Buddha identify himself by name. So… from where has this Siddhartha Gautama thing originated?

Shane Presswood
    Shane Presswood
    Participant

Scott,

I recommend a book I am currently reading: “What Makes you NOT a Buddhist”. In it there is simplistic explanation about Prince Sid’s early life and his journey into enlightenment (I prefer awakening). The book goes even further as to explain in brief about Gautama’s family and the precursors to before he left the palace.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Makes-You-Not-Buddhist/dp/818949726X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530636767&sr=8-2&keywords=what+makes+you+not+a+buddhist

Anonymous

He is referred to by his clan name, Shakyamuni.

ScottPen
    ScottPen
    Participant

[quote quote=42238]Scott,

I recommend a book I am currently reading: “What Makes you NOT a Buddhist”. In it there is simplistic explanation about Prince Sid’s early life and his journey into enlightenment (I prefer awakening). The book goes even further as to explain in brief about Gautama’s family and the precursors to before he left the palace.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Makes-You-Not-Buddhist/dp/818949726X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530636767&sr=8-2&keywords=what+makes+you+not+a+buddhist[/quote]

Thanks Shane

steve mareno
    Participant

Like Jesus, the facts available for proving that Sid was the Buddha are pretty thin. As far as I know there is some historical evidence that a prince called Siddhartha Gautama actually existed. This stuff goes back so far that it would be very difficult if not impossible to verify the facts. It’s similar to the legend that the Buddha sat under a tree for 6 years before he became enlightened. To my mind, that was probably 6 days, weeks or months. Impossible to know what really happened, and what is a good story.

I’ve never investigated any of this because the meditation practice actually works if one is committed to it, the three jewels are a pretty good, common sense idea, and the eightfold path is a wonderful way to turn our lives around. So whoever the original Buddha was, we all have the possibility of awakening this very moment, not in some distant and vague future, or worse, in another life time. That’s good enough for me. I especially like what Siddhartha allegedly said about accepting “facts” like this.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  steve mareno.
      Shane Presswood
      Shane Presswood
      Participant

Thanks Steve! Well stated! As I still find it fascinating to study the text from over 2500 years ago I still know I must sift through with a grain of skepticism. It’s just that ole rule of thumb of listening to the message and not always believing every detail of the messenger.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.