Dr. Ginger Campbell
Dr. Ginger Campbell and Dana Nourie speak with us about the complex interrelated processes we refer to as consciousness.
What is self? Is it your body, so if you lose your left pinky finger, is that really losing part of you? Is it your memories? Or some other aspect of mind, like consciousness? And for that matter, what is consciousness?
There are many different ideas about these questions, from a variety of disciplines. Scientific thought may not say the same thing as philosophy, which in turn has a wide variety of concepts that may not merge so well with an equally complext set of religious views. However we answer the question of what is consciousness, it is a rich area of thought, discussion, debate, and exploration.
Dr. Ginger Campbell is an experienced emergency physician with a long-standing interest in mind-body medicine, the brain, and consciousness. She is also interested in a wide variety of other topics including the history of science and ideas, began podcasting in 2006, and has discovered that it is a great way to share ideas with people from around the world. Her Brain Science Podcast explores how recent scientific discoveries are unraveling age-old mysteries, such as intelligence, emotions, personality, and memory.
Dana Nourie does not label herself a Buddhist, though she does practice Buddha’s teachings and associates with Secular Buddhists. She has been a guest on The Secular Buddhist podcast many times, and has been the primary
blogger on the Secular Buddhist Association website.
So, sit back, relax, and have a nice Downy White tea.
- Brain Science Podcast
- Ginger Campbell, M.D. — Promoting Science and Medicine via New Media
- Books and Ideas Podcast Episode 20: Interview with clinical psychologist Delany Dean about the use of Mindfulness Meditation in clinical practice
- Brain Science Podcast Episode 10: Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves by Sharon Begley
- Brain Science Podcast Episode 44: Interview with Daniel Siegel focusing on his book The Mindful Brain
- Brain Science Podcast Episode 67: Thomas Metzinger explores Consciousness
- Brain Science Podcast Episode 88: Interview with Bruce Hood The Self Illusion
- Secular Buddhist Podcast Episode 81 :: Dr. Dan Siegel :: Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation
- Secular Buddhist Podcast Episode 124 :: Ginger Campbell :: Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty”
- Thomas Nagel: What is it like to be a bat?
- SBA Article: If Not-Self Then What?
Music for This Episode Courtesy of Rodrigo Rodriguez
The music heard in the middle of the podcast is from Rodrigo Rodriguez. The track used in this episode is “Lady of the Snow” from his CD, Shakuhachi Meditations.