Please read our Code of Conduct before participating in this community.

Newcomer to Secular...

Notifications
Clear all

Newcomer to Secular Buddhism

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@rickm)
Topic starter

Hi everyone. While I am not new  to Buddhism, I am new to the concept of Secular Buddhism. I first became interested in Buddhism while studying philosophy (and especially Eastern Philosophy) at Colorado State University back in the 80s. I was raised in a very devout Christian (Baptist) environment, but I never really felt comfortable there. There were  several ministers in my family but for some reason I just never bought in to the whole notion of atonement theology. Please understand that I am not condemning that path, it just did not work for me personally. I could just never accept the metaphysical truth claims that were shared by my other family members.

As my understanding of Buddhism has evolved over the years, I still consider myself a student of Buddhism. When I first heard of Secular Buddhism, I finally felt like I had found a "home" so to speak - someplace I can settle in for the long haul and grow in my understanding.

I look forward to what I may learn here!

Thanks,

Richard

Posted : 29/08/2020 8:51 am
 jim
(@jim)

Hi Richard,  Welcome to the SBA.  Sounds like we have somewhat of a similar spiritual history.

Posted : 25/02/2021 12:34 pm
Share: